Family Day Home Program
There are approximately 450 approved family day homes in the Calgary and Area region. Homes are recruited, approved and contracted by family child care agencies under contract with Calgary and Area Child and Family Services Authority. The agencies monitor and support the care provided in the home, and help parents find suitable placements. Agencies are also responsible for investigating complaints.
Calgary and Area Child and Family Services monitors agency performance and annually contracts with agencies meeting standards for operation.
Anyone is welcome to contact Child and Family Services for more information about regulated child care options including approved family day homes and assistance for parents with selecting care. For offices and phone numbers look under Contact Information below.
The approved family day home program is in principle open to all individuals interested in providing care out of their own home and parents interested in using family based child care. Provider applicants are carefully screened before being approved according to established criteria for family based child care.
Only parents using approved family day homes may access assistance with their child care fees through the Child Care Subsidy Program.
Prospective providers and parents should contact family day home agencies to apply for the service. See the Contact Information listed below for names and phone numbers of available agencies in the region.
- Call or visit the family day home agencies to discuss your child care needs and to find out what child placement referrals are available.
- Read our booklet, Choosing a Family Day Home, a Guide for Parents. It provides a checklist for assessing Family Day Homes.
- Visit the day homes that seem most suitable for your child care needs.
- Once you have chosen a day home, contact the agency and complete the registration. The agency is available to answer any questions you may have about your child care arrangement.
Calgary and Area Child and Family Services Authority
Child Care Services Office
#300 - 1240 Kensington Road NW
Calgary, AB T2N 3P7
Phone (403) 297-6100
Fax (403) 297-7228
with Child Care Licensing Services
Richmond Multi-Service Team
#80 3915 - 51 Street SW
Calgary, AB T3E 6N1
Phone (403) 297-8033
Fax (403) 297-7573
Agency names and contact information can be found by:
- Using the Alberta Family Child Care Association-Calgary chapter
- Use Family Day Home Agency Lookup on the Alberta Children Services website.
- Calling the Child Care Services office at (403) 297-6100 to ask for the listing of family day home agencies.