Family Support Services
Families with a child with a disability may apply to FSCD program while awaiting a diagnosis for up to two years. Documentation from a health care professional is also required.
- The parent or guardian calls the FSCD Intake Line at (403) 297-6022.
- The FSCD Intake Worker will gather some information about the child, family and the child's disability.
- Your file will be assigned to an FSCD worker who will contact you and follow up with a home visit to determine the individual circumstances.
- Documentation from a health care professional will be requested.
- Applicable services will be discussed and if appropriate the worker will draw up an FSCD Service Agreement.
- Cover all costs typically associated with providing and caring for a child.
- Provide medical insurance coverage, under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan, and make use of any other benefits or insurance plans, including the Alberta Child Health Benefit, Alberta Blue Cross, employee benefit plans or other private insurance coverage for medical, dental, and prescription benefits.
- Utilize all other accessible and appropriate resources prior to accessing the FSCD program.
- Participate as a partner in determining, planning and coordinating FSCD supports and services for their child and family.
- Identify their child's strengths and disability-related needs, and the needs of their family.
- Make decisions regarding available supports and services to best meet their family's needs.
- Provide the FSCD program with information and documentation, as required to determine eligibility for the FSCD program.
- Hire and supervise service providers and comply with relevant employment standards, as per Canada Customs and Revenue Agency requirements.
- Spend funds provided by FSCD, in accordance with the terms of the FSCD
- Notify the Director of any litigation that results from the child's disability and of any legal action planned or commenced, including settlement discussions and filing of court documents.
- Inform the Director of the nature and amount of damages or compensation received from any source, including legal action, as a result of the child's disabilities, prior to signing an agreement for FSCD supports and services
- Renegotiate the FSCD Agereement if a settlement for damages or compensation is received, as a result of the child's disabilities, during the terms of the FSCD Agreement so that there is no duplication of services or funding (refer to S 3(1)-(3) of the Family Support for Children with Disabilities Agreement (CS1621C)
- Submit invoices, including the necessary documentation, for services received and cost incurred in a timely, regular manner.
To apply or inquire about supports for your child or family call:
Calgary and Area Child and Family Services
Family Support for Children with Disabilities
Intake Line (403) 297-6022.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can my special needs child attend day care?
A: Yes, Supported Child Care Services works with regional child care facilities to enable children with special needs to attend Licensed Child Care Facilities and approved Family Day Home Agencies.
Q: If I am not satisfied with a decision for FSCD services for my child, can I appeal?
A: Yes, an appeal process is available. Please contact your assigned worker.
Q: Who else funds prescriptions and/or diabetic supplies?
A: Other provincial agencies provide funding for prescriptions and diabetic supplies:
- Alberta Child Health Benefit (HR and Employment)
- Alberta Monitoring for Health (diabetes supplies for persons of any age)
Related Health Links
- Southern Alberta Child & Youth Health Network
- Alberta Aids to Daily Living
- Calgary Health Region
- Alberta Monitoring for Health