Core Protection Services
Calgary and Area Child and Family Services protects all children and teens who are 17 years and younger who are experiencing physical, emotional, sexual abuse and neglect.
What do I do if I suspect child abuse and/or neglect?
- If you suspect child abuse or neglect, please call our Intervention Services Intake Line at (403) 297-2995
- If you have reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a child at risk, the Child, Youth, and Family Enhancement Act requires you to report your concern.
- When making a report, your name will be kept confidential. No legal action can be taken against you unless the reporting is done maliciously or without grounds. Failure to report child abuse or neglect could result in a fine, imprisonment or both.
- It's your duty to report.
- After a call is received and assessed for assignment, a Calgary and Area Child and Family Services Caseworker will meet the child to determine if there is problems that may require support.
- If appropriate, services may be offered to the parent, family and/or child, which may include in-home support or professional counselling.
- In a case where the child cannot remain in the home, the worker must develop a plan for the child. If the removal is temporary, the plan must include helping not only the child, but also the family to overcome difficulties they have caring for the child. If the removal is permanent, a plan for adoption or other permanent arrangement must be developed.
Note: In situations involving confirmed sexual or physical abuse, the police are notified and when possible, joint interviews by the police and Caseworker will be arranged.
To report child abuse or neglect, call the Intervention Services Intake Line at (403) 297-2995.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q:What is child abuse?
A: The main kinds of abuse are physical, emotional, sexual, and neglect.
Read more about the definitions of child abuse.
Q:How do I know if a child is being abused?
A: Trust your instincts; if you have a suspicion or a 'gut feeling' that a child is being abused or neglected, please call the Child Protection Line at (403) 297-2995 to discuss your suspicions.
Read more about specific indicators of child abuse.
Q: If I report my neighbours for neglecting their child, will they find out who called?
A: When you make a report, your name will be kept confidential. No legal action can be taken against you unless the reporting is done maliciously or without grounds. If you fail to report your concerns, you may be guilty of an offence and liable and face a fine or imprisonment.